“For our citizenship is in heaven; from which also we look for the savior, the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall change our humble body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working by which he is able even to subdue all things unto himself”—Philippians 3:20-21
The word ‘citizenship’ in the above scripture, is the same word translated in the King James Version of the bible as “Conversation”. And it was translated from the Greek word—‘Politeuma’, meaning: a community.
Thus, a discussion of our heavenly citizenship or conversation is a discussion of our heavenly community. So the above scripture can also be paraphrased as: “For our community is in heaven…”
And every true believer in Jesus Christ has a present citizenship and residence in heaven. He doesn’t have to die first, before gaining admission into heaven. Heaven is his bonafide and present home. Let’s see what the scriptures say concerning this:
“But you are come unto Mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels”—Hebrews 12:22
Now let’s consider the above scripture. It says “You are come”, not “You will come”. In other words, ‘you have come’. Where have you come? Mount Zion. Where is this Mount Zion that you have come? It is the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem.
Then another thing worthy of note in the above scripture is that the “you” used in the above scripture, is a plural “you”.
Let’s consider another scripture along this line.
“But God who is rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, has made us alive together with Christ, (by grace you are saved); And has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus”.
The above scripture says God has made us alive (or quickened us) together with Christ and has raised us up together and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. So here again, we see another plural word, ‘us’. We are presently seated or positioned together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
And where is that place, where Christ which we are seated together in, is located? It is a place and position, “Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in that which is to come”—Ephesians 1:21
Hence, we have a present citizenship and residence in heaven, in Christ Jesus. And our placement and positioning by God, is above principality, power, might, dominion and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in that which is to come.
Who and Who Makes Up Our Heavenly Community?
From the book of Hebrews 12: 20-24 we see that in this Mount Zion, the City of the Living God (The Heavenly Jerusalem) which we have come unto, the major occupants are: God, The Judge of all; Jesus, The Mediator of the new covenant; an innumerable company of angels, the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, written in heaven (The body of Christ, believers—Living or dead (sleeping)) and the spirits of just men made perfect…
Such as the spirits of Abraham, the Apostle Paul, my spirit and that of every believers.
What is The Essence of This Consciousness?
The believer, armed with this gracious consciousness of his heavenly citizenship. And that his bonafide community and present residence is in heaven, it helps him in the following ways:
- God’s Presence: with this knowledge or consciousness of heavenly citizenship, the believer gains a better reality of God’s permanent presence and access. He no longer thinks God is far away somewhere, while he is here on earth.
- Under Watchful Eyes: The believer armed with this consciousness, gains more awareness of the fact that he is under the watchful eyes of great a great cloud of witnesses, including God–the Father, Jesus Christ, Angels and the spirits of just men made perfect. And this will enable him judge his ways.
- Protection Consciousness: The believer armed with this revelation of his or her heavenly citizenship; with God–The Father, Jesus Christ, Angels and spirits of just men made perfect as his companion, he is more confident and guaranteed of his infallible defence. Both spiritually and physically.
- Brethren Consciousness: Having known that our citizenship or community is in heaven. That every Christ believer has a bonafide heavenly citizenship. And that we are all seated together in Christ Jesus, in heavenly places. The believer should now see every believer as his brother and sister. He should now treat his fellow believer as his blood brother and sister. With true love and brotherly kindness. As fellow citizens, seated together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, no one should undermine his fellow believer or think that he is more important than anyone.
- Heaven Mindedness: The word of God says: “If you then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God”—Colossians 3:1. This revelation of our heavenly citizenship helps the believer fulfil the above scripture. A believer that is fully persuaded of his heavenly citizenship in his heart must definitely seek those things which are above, instead of just earthly things.
- Atonement Consciousness: Hebrews 12:24 tells us that in Mount Zion, the heavenly Jerusalem; where we belong now, there is the blood of sprinkling – which is the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ—speaking better things for us at all time to God for our sins. It is also speaking protection for us.
- Authority Consciousness: With this consciousness of our heavenly citizenship and positioning in Christ Jesus, we are now more confident of our unchallengeable and undefeatable authority in Christ Jesus. So when we do deal with the devil and his agents, we look from up-down position on them. We don’t magnify or fear them in anyway. We just authoritatively deal with them in the name of Jesus.
So here you have it. You are a present and bonafide resident citizen of the celestial city in Christ Jesus. And you do have immediate access to all the above (and more) citizenship privileges. So believe it, confess it and act it. And you will definitely experience it in the mighty name of Jesus Christ!
If you would love to learn the Biblical secrets for unparalleled success in life: Both here on earth, and in eternity; Click Here For a Free Download of my just released E-book titled: “ Keys to The Kingdom Success—The Biblical Secrets for Unparalleled Success in Life: Here and In eternity” If you prefer to get the paperback version; Click Here to Get Your Copy From Amazon Now!