“This I say then, walk in the spirit and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh”—Galatians 5:16
“For if you live after the flesh, you shall die but if you through the Spirit do put to death the deeds of the body, you shall live.” Romans 8:13
From the above two scriptures, and other similar scriptures, the Lord reveals to us the cure for the works (lusts or deeds) of the flesh—Sin. And this cure is—walking in the Spirit…
Hence, in this article, we will be digging into what and what constitute walking in the Spirit. So we can be better equipped with the right knowledge on exactly how to walk in the Spirit for absolute dominion over the works of the flesh or sin.
The Constituents of Walking in the Spirit
There are six basic biblical consciousness that make up or constitute what it means to be walking in the Spirit. These include:
- Consciousness of the Indwelling Spirit: The number one thing that constitutes walking in the Spirit is a full persuasion of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit in the spirit of the believer. That is, the realisation of the permanent residence of the Holy Spirit in a believer; and walking in this reality.This is basically where walking in the Spirit starts. Without this first reality, walking in the Spirit is not in view. The believer must realise that the Holy is not only residing in heaven, but also in his or her Spirit. Here is what the bible says concerning the indwelling presence of the Spirit of God in the life of a believer:“Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?”—1 Corinthians 3:16.
This scripture says believers are the temple or the house of God. And that the Spirit of God (The Holy Spirit) resides (dwells) in us. And of course, he dwells in all of us individually. So to walk in the Spirit, you must always live in the consciousness that the Holy Spirit of God is always residing in you.
- Death or Sacrifice Consciousness of The Body: “Likewise reckon you also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord”—Romans 6:11“For you are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God”—Colossians 3:3So to walk in the Spirit, you must live with the consciousness that you’re dead to sin in the flesh and now alive unto God in Christ Jesus. You must see yourself as a living sacrifice in Christ Jesus at all time. This is a great part of what is meant to be walking in the Spirit.
- Working Consciousness of The Indwelling Spirit: To walk in the Spirit, also means to be walking in the reality that the indwelling Holy Spirit in you, is always working in you; so you can please God in your lifestyle and every actions—Phillipians 2:13.This consciousness helps you always yield yourself to the works of the Spirit in your daily life.
- Submission Consciousness (Yielding Consciousness): Having already realised that the Holy Spirit is resident in you and that he is always working in you for God’s good pleasure…You need to also live or walk in submission to his works and guidance in your heart and life. Concerning this, the bible says, we should present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, and acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service—Romans 8:1.So to walk in the Spirit, is to be consciously and consistently yielded to or submitted to the Holy Spirit; his works and continual guidance.
And to do this effectively, we must diligently learn how to discern his works and guidance at all time. To learn how the Spirit works and leads, we can study the bible and relevant Christian books that treats the topic.
- Fruit Consciousness: Another constituent of walking in the Spirit is fruit consciousness. Fruit here, refers to the fruit of the Spirit as enumerated in the scriptures as we can see in Galatians 5:22-23.“But the fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Self-Control: against such there is no law.”
Walking in the consciousness of the fruit of the Spirit as enumerated above…
That is, always benchmarking or judging all your actions with the above listed fruit of the Spirit, is to be walking in the Spirit.
Every of your action must and should conform to any and all of the above listed fruit of the Spirit. And any of your character or action that doesn’t conform, should be dropped as soon as possible. And this character assessment must be a lifestyle. These lifestyles constitute what is meant by walking in the Spirit.
- Repentance Consciousness: Among other things, walking in the Spirit is living in repentance consciousness on daily and continual basis. The Greek word that was translated in the New Testament as repentance is “metanoia”, meaning, compunction (guilt) or reversal of decision. Hence, repentance is being penitent or remorseful for sin.It is reconsidering and changing your way, action or character on conviction that it is wrong. Making this repentance from sinful attitudes or character a lifestyle is what is meant by repentance consciousness. The word of God tells us that repentance is what the Lord is sent to give, along with forgiveness of sin—Acts 5:31.Then the same chapter in the very next verse tells us that the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to us, is a witness of this fact—Acts 5:32. So a penitent or repentant lifestyle is surely a walk in the Spirit. Which definitely is a cure for works of the flesh.
So here you have it. The six consciousness in the list above, are the major scriptural ways to walk in the Spirit as the word of God instructs. And as you do that, sin shall no longer have dominion over you in Jesus Name!