“Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord”—Hebrews 12:14
Holiness as used in the above opening text is from the Greek word ‘hagiasmos’ meaning—Purification; that is, the state of purity. From scriptures, we understand that every believer in Christ Jesus is holy by the election of grace.
So by redemption, every believer in Christ Jesus is holy, set apart, sanctified, purified or consecrated unto God. This is the status and heritage of everyone believer in Christ Jesus by redemption…
But however, Christian holiness or sanctification doesn’t just end at the redemptive purification or consecration. All through scriptures, the Lord instructs us to pursue holiness as a lifestyle. He says without its pursuit, no man shall see him (see the opening text).
But the question that quickly comes to mind is: why would God tell us to be what he has already made us to be? The answer to that question is that he wants us to actually, be a practical reflection of what he has made us to be…
So we don’t become a reproach to him and ourselves. Why? Because it’s preposterous to see a clean sheep wallowing in the mire like a pig. It just doesn’t add up. The Lord having chosen us to be holy requires a practical manifestation of our status in our everyday lifestyle.
So in this article, we want to see some scriptural keys that guarantee to confer mastery to us, as we diligently set out to pursue holiness in our daily Christian lives as the Lord instructs us.
The Master Keys to Holiness
The pursuit of holiness is majorly a lifestyle of separating from or turning away from sin and turning to God. These biblical keys being delivered here will confer mastery over sin to you. They will at the same time, confer mastery in godliness to you for the ultimate glory of God.
These master keys to holiness are as listed below:
- Righteousness Consciousness: “Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame”—1Corinthians 15:34The number one master key to a holy lifestyle, is awakening to the consciousness that you are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:21). That is, considering yourself to be dead indeed to sin and alive unto Christ (Romans 6:11). This consciousness is the foundational key to mastery in holy living.
- Faith of God: “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him” Hebrews 11:6.Faith in God and his words, especially his words concerning holiness is another powerful master key to holiness. Faith in God’s word such as:‘the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death’ (Romans 8:2). ‘For sin shall not have dominion over you for ye are not under the law, but under grace’ (Romans6:14)…And other similar scriptures, guarantee to confer mastery in holiness to any believer. I can testify to this fact in my own personal walk with God. The besetting sins I struggled with, have been masterfully subdued by this key to a very great extent to the glory of God.
- Fear of God: “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God”—2Corinthians 7:1.As stated in the above scripture, the fear of God is the perfecting key to holy living. Walking in the fear of God as a lifestyle confers mastery over sin. Anyone that lacks the fear of God for any reason does have a loophole for continual sinning. Whether he agrees or not.
- Love of God: The love of God enables us gain mastery over selfishness, condemnational fear and unforgiveness. The love of God enables us to obey God’s commandments with delight. Especially soul winning. The love of God enables us to be more tolerant of our brothers and sisters in spite of how much wrong they do to us.And most importantly, the love of God helps us love the unlovable sinners. And it even prompts us to be touched by their state and makes us share the gospel with them and also pray for them.
- Wisdom of God: many a time, holiness is a function of being as wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove. In other words, discretion or cleverness (phronimos). Many a time, many a believer indulges in sinful acts and habits, as a result of lack of discretion and sometimes outright foolishness.For instance, it is foolishness for believers of opposite sex, that are not married or siblings to be meeting in secluded places. When people of opposite sex meet in secluded places, there is a great chance of them committing fornication or adultery. And the major wisdom—amongst others—required to flee from such act is to avoid meeting in secluded places with the opposite sex.The above is just an instance of how wisdom key can be engaged to masterfully subdue sin. Many sin or sinful habits, many a believer indulge in, can easily be overcome by the master key of divine wisdom (phronimos).
- Prayers: “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak”—Matthew 26:41. Prayer, especially praying in tongues, is a principal master key to holiness. Just like the Lord remarked in the above scripture, there are many times when you are tempted to sin. When your spirit will be willing to overcome the temptation, but meanwhile, your flesh is weak…So you find yourself struggling. At such a time, prayer is the master key out of such a situation. When you find yourself in such a situation, just begin to pray. From my personal experiences, praying in other tongues silently has been more effective. So I will recommend that as well.
- Word Study and Meditation: “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word.”—Psalm 119:9consistent, daily studies and meditation on God’s word (the scriptures) confers mastery in holiness to the believer. As we keep studying, meditating and confessing God’s word in our hearts on regular basis; in no time we are sure to emerge champions over sin.Like the above scripture says, taking heed to the undiluted word of God from scriptures has the supernatural power to cleanse us from our evil ways continually. Even our Lord Jesus says, the truth of God’s word can sanctify us (John 17:17). So engage the word of God for sanctification.
So the above seven points are the major scriptural master keys to mastery in your pursuit of holiness. Study them in more detail with your bible. And as the light dawn in your spirit, you are guaranteed become a champion in holiness in no distant time; in the mighty name of our Lord Jesus Christ.