“What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH IS OF FAITH. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone…” Romans 9:30-33 (emphasis added)
We must first of all understand that faith is the only tool in the kingdom of God for accomplishing all humanly impossible feats. If we must achieve anything supernatural-that is, anything beyond the natural, then Faith is sacrosanct (cannot be replaced).
Especially, Holy Ghost powered Faith. And Absolute Righteousness which is one of the most important virtues in Christendom, can only be achieved by faith. Because the Bible says: “Without faith, it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6).
Righteousness or holiness is the virtue of living right. In terms of keeping God’s commandments in order to please God. And if your righteousness must be acceptable to God, it must be faith based. Because the Bible says again in Romans 14:23b that: “For whatsoever is not of faith is sin”
So What Then Is Faith Based Righteousness?
- Righteousness is faith based, if it is first and foremost, scripturally based. That is, if it is based on what is written in the scriptures. Which is to say, you do not just conceive anything and just start practicing it in the name of righteousness, without first confirming if it is commanded in the word of God. This is the point the Apostle Paul made in his epistle in Romans 10:2-3 when he said:“For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.”
- Righteousness is faith based, if it is directed or masterminded by the Holy Spirit. In order words, if you are not struggling with your mortal strength to keep God’s commandments without seeking the help of God through his Holy Spirit.Because if you try to keep God’s commandments with your own strength, you cannot achieve true righteousness. Although you need to do your own part. But ultimately, it is the Holy Spirit, who is the Spirit of Holiness that can actually help you and me to live above sin. Because before his arrival, Jesus made us understand that, that is his major assignment according to John 16:8-11 which says:“And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”
- Righteousness is faith based, if it is confessed or professed privately and publically. Which is to say, if you actually believe you are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus as the scripture says, and you are sanguine you are living in practical righteousness, you boldly declare it both to yourself privately, and publically too.Because the Bible tells us that if we believe, then we must speak what we believe. According to 2Corinthians 4 :13:
“We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak.”
For instance, on many occasions, as I discussed with people concerning righteousness, as they ask, are you righteous? I boldly reply, yes! But so many Christians cannot boldly declare that they are righteous.
For so many of them, they cannot say it because of ignorance. Some for the sake of being modest and not wanting to appear boastful. Others, because they know they are still practically living in sin. But whatever reason that will not allow you proclaim the righteousness of God in your life, is simply unbelief, and you need to do away with it as quickly as possible.
- Righteousness is faith based if it is backed by scriptural works. James 2: 17-18 says; “Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.”So you cannot just be confessing righteousness and the practical evidence is not seen in your actions and your way of life. You cannot claim righteousness by faith and still continue living in sin.If the practical evidence is not available for people to see, then it is obvious that what you are confessing is not faith. But simply lies and bluffing. So you must adjust your way of life by the help of the Holy Spirit, in order for your proclamations to suit your lifestyle. Because the Bible says: in 1John 3 : 7;
“Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness, is righteous, even as he is righteous.”
How Then Do I Continually live in Faith Based Righteousness?
- Be Righteousness Conscious. Believe that you are a god and that you are holy just as God Almighty your father is Holy. That you live above sin. According to Romans 6:14; “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under law, but under grace”. If you mistakenly fall into any sin, quickly repent and ask for forgiveness from God and believe you are forgiven. Then continue gallantly.
- Believe you are a heavenly citizen. That a heavenly citizen cannot sin. That is, be always conscious of losing your place in the kingdom of God to hell, each time you are tempted with sin and resist the devil sternly.
- Rebuke sin forcefully and with love too. If you are somewhere as a child of God and you see your friends or your neighbor carrying out a sinful act like: lying, talking immorally, don’t sit there and watch. Either you get out of the place, or you reprove or rebuke them forcefully in love. Ephesians 5:11:
“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.”
- Read and meditate on the word of God daily. Psalm119:11 says:
”Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee”
As you continually read and meditate on the word of God which is the Bible on a daily basis, in a very short time, you will begin to notice that everything contrary to the word, which is sin, will begin to irritate you. Thereby, making you abstain from sin.
- Pray and fast often. Prayer and fasting will make the word of God to enter and dwell in your spirit- thereby, making you live above sin. Isaiah 58:6, 8 says;
“Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To lose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?… Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rearward.”
- Finally, be always battle ready against the devices of the devil. Who is always on the rampage with his tricks to lure you into sinning against God, so your relationship with God can be severed. Then he can take undue advantage and deal with you ruthlessly. 2Corinthians 2:11;
“Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.”
To Practice the ‘Faith Based Righteousness’ as expounded here, you need the help of the Lord Jesus, through his Holy Spirit. And to secure his help, you need to first and foremost, accept him into your heart as your Lord and personal savior. If you know you’ve not yet accepted Jesus as your Lord and personal savior. That is to say, you know, that you know, you’re not saved or born again.
How do you know? You know that you’re not saved or born again, if you’re not 100% sure of making it to heaven, if the trumpet should sound; or if you should drop dead right now as you are reading this sermon.
For instance, if you should ask me, if I’m sure of making it, if Jesus should come right now? My answer to you is, certain yes! I am so sanguine that if the Lord Jesus Christ should appear right away, in his glory, I will make it to heaven. So if you are not as sure as I am, it means you need to accept Jesus as your Lord and personal savior.
Even if you were saved before, but now, you know you have backslidden, and you want to return back to the Lord, you can still say this prayer below.
Say out this prayer, with all sincerity of heart…
- Lord Jesus, I have heard your word
- I agree that I’m a sinner, but today, I repent of my sins
- Wash me with your precious blood that you shared for me on the cross
- Write my name in the lambs’ book of life
- Be my Lord, and my personal savior for the rest of my life
- Thank you for saving me, in Jesus name
If you made the above prayer (Salvation Prayer), and you will require some guidelines or counselling from me, on how to continue the race without backsliding anymore, you can click here to contact me right away. Again, if you have any comment concerning this particular sermon, you can also put it down. And I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Less I forget, I will be sharing gamut of life-transforming sermons as the Lord puts in my heart on a very regular basis on this very blog. So I encourage you to continue visiting this blog as often as possible. On the other hand, you can fill out the E-Mail subscription form to be getting updates on every of my postings and recommendations.