“For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?”—1 John 5:4-5
It is a scriptural fact that God allows Christians to go through tribulations or adversities. No matter how close someone is to God, he can still face trials of faith. God does not promise us a tribulation-free walk with him here in this present world. But he does guarantee us the victory in every tribulation we face.
Here are the exact words of our Lord Jesus Christ:
“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world”—John 16:33
In the above scripture, The Lord says clearly that in this present world, we shall have tribulation. Then immediately, he tells us to be of good cheer, because he had overcome the world. Why does he tell us to be cheerful over his victory? Because he actually secured the victory for us his believers…
Everyone and anyone who believes in Jesus, immediately becomes a partaker of our Lord’s victory over the world.
The believer doesn’t have to die first or wait until Jesus returns before partaking of this victory. All anyone has to do to partake of our Lord Jesus’ victory, is to just believe in Jesus as the Son of God. Our opening text in 1 John 5:4-5 confirms this eternal truth.
But the irony of it all is that many believers in Christ Jesus have not truly understood this fact. Hence they are not enjoying this triumphant and champion life in Christ Jesus. Instead, they are defeated and victimized by the exact same thing the Lord secured victory for them. They are knocked and trashed by the exact same forces they have been made champions over.
Many have already thrown in the towel and have accepted defeat. While on the other hand, many have bent scriptures to align with their failure and unbelief. And they have consequently daubed the preachers of the undiluted truth of God’s word “False Teachers”. And of course, they erroneously believe they would be justified by their hypocritical lambastes.
In this article, we want to scripturally see the exact areas of life which our victory in Christ Jesus covers.
The Scope of The Believer’s Victory
Our opening text says whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world. ‘Overcometh’ is in the present continuous tense. This is to say the believer keeps on overcoming. Below is a list of the believer’s area of victory in Christ Jesus.
- Victory Over Sin: The word of God tells us that the major vice of the world is sin. Sin in the form of the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2: 16). And because we are in Christ, we do have absolute victory over sin by the grace of God in us. Hence the word of God says, sin shall not have dominion over us (Romans 6:14). And if sin shall not have dominion over us, it therefore means we have dominion or victory over sin.
- Victory Over the Devils: “You are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world” –1 John 4:4
The devil and his agents, are the major foes of Christians. But the scripture above makes us understand that we have overcome them. In other words, they keep challenging the believer from one point and the other, but each time they do, the believer keeps on giving them a knock out.
So the believer is a champion over the devil and his cohorts. And the devils are defeated foes before the believer.
- Victory Over Sickness And Diseases: From scriptures, we also see that the believer already has victory or dominion over sickness and diseases through the stripes of Jesus before his death. Here is exactly what the word of God says:“Who his own self bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes you were healed”—1Peter 2:24. Then again Matthew 8:17 reads “That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying, He himself took our infirmities, and bore our sicknesses”
And as such, we have absolute victory over sickness and diseases. No matter the kind of sickness or disease.
- Victory Over Lack and Want: “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that you through his poverty might be rich”—2 Corinthians 8:9. If you read this scripture in context, from verse 1, and even the whole of chapter 9, it is very clear that this scripture refers to material riches not spiritual riches in this context.If you read in context, you will see that the Apostle Paul was talking about material ministration to the saints and the giving grace. Yes Christians are principally spiritually rich, but this scripture refers to material riches. Jesus was only materially poor while he was here on earth. And the Apostle Paul by the Spirit tells us he was poor, so we through his poverty might be materially rich.
And of course, these riches come to us principally through the works of our hands. God blesses the works of our hands so we can have enough for his work and ministering to the saints (2 Corinthians 9:8). Hence, by Jesus’ poverty while he was here on earth, every believer has dominion over lack and want. A believer can face financial or material challenge sometime, but eventually he overcomes by faith.
- Victory Over Second Death: “verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”—John 5:24“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; he that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death” – Revelation 2:11.
The above scripture tells us that the overcomers shall not be hurt of the second death. And our opening scripture tells us that the overcomer is the born again believer.
So there you have it. Every believer in Christ Jesus is a champion in every area of life. A believer can be challenged or face tribulation in any area of life. But armed with his champion heritage in Christ Jesus, he is to exercise his or her faith in God for conquest any and every time he is challenged. Anyone born again in Christ Jesus is born a champion. So believe it, confess it all the time and act it. And by the grace of God, you are guaranteed of all-time conquest.