The word ‘Godhead’ is from the Greek words ‘Theios’ and ‘Theostes’, meaning– ‘godlike’ and ‘divinity’ respectively. In other words, a study of the Godhead is a study of the nature of God. That is, the deity or divinity.
The word of God says ‘those who do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits ‘(Daniel 11:32). And this is why it is very important for us to understand the Godhead. In this article, we’ll be studying the Godhead or Deity scripturally, in order to get a better knowledge of the God we serve. So we can be strong in him and be able to really do exploits as the word of God says.
The Nature of the Godhead
From scriptures we understand that the Godhead is triune–Three In One. And we can understand this fact from the nature of man which God created in his own image and likeness. In Romans 1:20, the word of God says “For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse“
Then in Acts 17:29, the word of God says “Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device“
The above scripture opens our eyes again to the nature of the Godhead. It says as we are the offspring of God (or children of God, made in his image and likeness) we ought not to think that the Godhead or Deity is like gold or silver or stone graven by art and man’s device.
And of course, those are the ways many people imagine that God looks like. From scriptures, we understand that God made man in his image and likeness (Genesis 1:26-27). And if God made man in his image and likeness, then we can conclude that man is like God in nature. And if that is true, then the reverse is also true. That is, God is like man in nature. And by this, we mean the triune nature of man. Man that is created in the image and likeness of God is a triune being. He has a spirit, soul and body. And in just the same way, the Godhead is triune.
The Godhead is made up of the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. And these three make up the one divine entity– God Almighty (See 1 John 5:7). The Godhead is a singular entity, with triple subsistence. The Deity is three personalities in one. And these three personalities that make up the Godhead are equal as God Almighty. And as such, any and all the three personalities can and deserves to be worshipped as the Almighty God.
The Three Personalities of The Godhead
In this section we’ll be taking specific look at the three personalities of the Godhead:
1) The Father: The Father God of the Godhead, is the Chief and greatest of the Godhead. Because he owns the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Son (the Word) and the Holy Ghost proceeds or comes out from the Father (See John 14:28, John 8:42, John 15:26). And as such, he is the Chief administrator of the Godhead. He initiates the actions of the entire Godhead.
2) The Son God— The Son of God
is Jesus Christ. He is the Word and Wisdom of the Godhead. In him dwells or
lives the Godhead bodily. That is, the Father and the Holy Spirit dwell inside
the Son, Jesus Christ– See John1:1, Colossians 2: 9 — The word of God tells
us that the Son is the brightness of God’s glory, and the express image of his
person (Hebrews 1:3).
Jesus is the present King of God’s kingdom. But in the end of all things, he shall submit the kingdom to the Father God (See 1Corinthians 15:24-28).
3) The Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) is the Power of the Godhead. He is the comforter (Advocate, Consoler and Intercessor–the parakletos). He is a person– not a thing; not a feeling or a acting force as many erroneously think he is.
He has emotions. He speaks. He carries out the will of the Godhead. He is presently in charge of the kingdom of God here on earth. Since he arrived here on earth on the day of Pentecost, he has always been here. He dwells in the lives of every believer in Christ Jesus.
The Three Major Features of the Godhead
1) Omni-Present: The Godhead–The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit– is Omni-present. That is, having the ability to be present everywhere at the same time. He dwells in every believer all over the world at the same time. He can be in heaven, hell, earth, inside the water at the same time.
2)Omni-Potent: Another major feature of the Almighty Deity is that he is Omni-potent. That is, all powerful. He has power for every and anything. And of course, the Lord Jesus Christ tells us that all power in heaven and in earth have been given unto him (Matthew 28:18). So our God has power above every other power. And he can subdue every other power very easily.
3) Omni-Science: The Godhead is also Omni- science. That is, God knows everything. He knows everything in the past, in the present and in the future. Nothing escapes his awareness. Even when the smallest creatures such as flies, mosquitoes and birds die, he is aware. As a matter of fact, he knows the number of hairs in everyone’s body.
So there you have it. A brief scriptural exposition of the nature of the Godhead. God has all it takes to be depended upon for everything in this life and in the life to come. He is all you need to have all your needs met. He is faithful and true. He is trustworthy. If you want to become a child of God today, just Click Here to receive Jesus into your life as your Lord and personal saviour.