As we continue on the topic of the Holy Spirit, in the last post, we looked into what being full of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) is all about and the blessings that come along with it. Then we also learnt that being filled or full of the Holy Ghost is not a once and for all experience, but a once and continual experience of every believer in Christ Jesus…
Having established that truth, the very next question that quickly comes to mind is, how do I receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit and keep on getting filled? In this post, I will be sharing with you the scriptural ways to receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit and how to keep on getting filled or full of the Holy Spirit everytime.
How to Receive The Infilling of the Holy Spirit
Listed below are the scriptural ways on how to receive the infilling or baptism of the Holy Spirit and continually keep on getting filled:
- Repentance and Faith in Jesus Christ: “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.”—Acts 2:38-39
From this scripture, it is very clear that the number one step to receiving the infilling of the Holy Ghost is repentance from sin, and receiving Jesus into your heart by faith as your Lord and Savior. Peter by the Spirit says as you repent of your sins and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins (baptism in water) you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- The Word of God: “While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost”—Acts 10:44-45.
In the above scripture, as Peter went to meet Cornelius and spoke the word of God to him and those with him, while he was yet preaching the word of God to them, they were all filled with the Holy Ghost. So it is a scriptural fact that someone can receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and also get continually filled with the Holy Ghost by listening to the word of God. Someone can also be filled by reading the bible and other anointed books of the word of God.
- The Laying on of Hands: “And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”—Acts 19:6
So we can also receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hand, by any believer who is already baptized with the Holy Spirit; just like Paul did in the above scripture. A believer who has never been filled with the Holy Spirit, can receive the first infilling of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hand. Then someone who is already filled can also receive fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit by laying on of hand.
- Prayer: “And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness”—Acts 4:31
From the above scripture, the word of God says after the disciples of Jesus Christ prayed, they were all filled with the Holy Ghost. And obviously most of the people who prayed were already filled with the Holy Ghost; but they were filled afresh. So we can receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit by prayer of faith.
The prayer for the infilling of the Holy Spirit can be as simple as saying, Lord Jesus, fill me with the Holy Ghost. Then if you are already filled, you simply ask the Holy Spirit to fill you afresh. And as you ask by faith, he fills you instantly. When it comes to the infilling of the Holy Spirit, God doesn’t waste time to fill any believer that ask him in sincerity and faith.
- Singing of Psalms and Spiritual Songs: “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”—Ephesians 5:18-20. From this text above, we can see that we also receive the fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit by singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs unto God and also by giving thanks to God always for all things in the name of Jesus Christ.
So here you have it. The above list is the scriptural ways of receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit.
Do you know any other scriptural way of receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit? Please share with us at the comment section below.
You may also be interested in: