“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” —Galatians 5:22-23
While it is very scripturally true that every born again child of God has the Holy Spirit indwelling in him, if the believer does not walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit becomes of little benefit to him.
And this is why the Apostle Paul in most of his epistles admonishes us by the Spirit, to walk in the Spirit. In Galatians 5:25, Paul by the Spirit says; “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit”
As we walk in the Spirit, we enjoy the manifestation of the gifts and fruit of the Spirit. I have already discussed about the gifts of the Spirit here. So in this post, we will be looking into the fruit of the Spirit. Because inasmuch as God desires us to covet earnestly the gifts of the Spirit (1Corinthians 12:31), He also desires us to bear the fruit of the Spirit (Colossians 3:12-17).
The fruit of the Spirit means divine characters or attitudes that are made available to the believer’s heart or Spirit by the Holy Spirit in them.
And as believers yield themselves to the influence of the Holy Spirit in their hearts, these fruit of the Spirit gains free expression through them.
So What Are The Fruit of The Spirit?
In our opening text, Galatians 5:22-23, Paul by the Spirit lists out the fruit of the Spirit. And in this section, we are going to briefly discuss each of the fruit of the Spirit:
- The Fruit of Love: The number one fruit of the Spirit, listed in our opening text, is love. The word of God says, the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us (Romans 5:5). Love is the fruit of the Spirit in our hearts that enable us love God and our fellow humans, even when it is not convenient. The love of God helps us love God and our fellow men selflessly and sacrificially. It enables us show love to even our enemies as the Lord Jesus instructs us.
- The Fruit of Joy: The fruit of Joy helps us, believers, to remain joyful in the Lord, no matter whatever circumstances we face in life. The Joy of the Holy Spirit is a supernatural manifestation in the heart. It is a supernatural manifestation in the heart that is undeterred by the happenings around the believers, whether good or bad.
- The Fruit of Peace: In John 14:27, the Lord Jesus says; “Peace I leave with you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” This peace of the Lord is brought to our hearts by the Holy Spirit of God in us. The peace of God puts the believer’s heart at rest. Regardless of whatever situation he finds himself. Then the peace of God also removes fear from our hearts, no matter what we face in life.
- The Fruit of Longsuffering: The fruit of longsuffering helps the believer with the fortitude to go through some tribulations of life, as permitted by God. Longsuffering helps the believer to forbear his fellow brethren’s offences. So in summary, longsuffering means patience with God and with our fellowmen.
- The Fruit of Gentleness: Gentleness as stated in our opening text, is from the Greek word “chrestotes”, meaning– usefulness. That is, moral excellence; in character and demeanor. So the fruit of gentleness confers moral excellence on the believer. Part of the moral excellence, is the attitude of not being apt to hurt his neighbor. The fruit of gentleness removes rascality from a believer.
- The Fruit of Goodness: The fruit of goodness makes believers to be beneficent. That is, it makes the believer to be always apt to do or seek the good of others. The fruit of goodness enables believer to do good to even those that despitefully treat him.
- The Fruit of Faith: Faith is from the Greek word ’pistis’. Which means persuasion or assurance. So the fruit of faith helps us maintain our assurance or confidence in God, at all times for all things. Because the bible says, the just shall live by faith. And it is the fruit of faith that helps us maintain a lifestyle of faith.
- The Fruit of Meekness: Meekness means humility. So as we walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit impacts our hearts with humility. Such that no matter whatever height God lifts us to in life, we don’t get puffed up and proud. Among other things, meekness makes us teachable.
- The Fruit of Temperance: Temperance means self-control. So the fruit of temperance helps us to control ourselves, especially our emotions. All our human emotions and desires, if not controlled, can lead us into troubles and sins. So the Holy Spirit in us, believers, helps us to discipline ourselves. By the Holy Spirit, we are able to control our food appetite, sexual appetite and every other natural appetite which can lead to sin.
So listed above, are the nine major fruit of the Holy Spirit in us. And according to the word of God, these fruit of the Spirit, find expression in our lives as we continually give ourselves to walking in the Spirit.
If you do have any question or comment on the fruit of the Spirit, please drop them at the comment section below and I’ll respond back to you as soon as possible.
Then if you are blessed by this post, you can use the social media widgets below to share it with your friends. And as you do, God will richly bless you.
You may also like: